My Blog: Getting the Orckestra CMS Up and Running

05 October 2016

The decisions to make and customisation required to get the Orckestra CMS up and running for my project.

Install the Orckestra CMS Foundation Software

For my University Package project, I started with a stable build of the Orckestra CMS Foundation software, version 5.1 (which still has the old Composite C1 branding). This can be downloaded from the GitHub project page. If all goes well with building the package, I'll be able to upgrade to the latest version of Orckestra CMS Foundation and import my pages, datatypes, files, etc. prior to release.

Extracting the files from the .zip archive, I moved them into a working location on my hard disk and opened the project in Visual Studio 2015. I'm not going to build the project just yet!

After renaming the project as "CompositeC1 v5.1 University" I needed to add in a few files from an earlier build of Composite C1. This allows me to enable multiple websites under host header names and add custom 404 error pages. The files to re-insert can be found prior to GitHub commit 31415aa5231397312e226320f994b9683b87da73. They are:

Configuring Internet Information Services

With these files in place, I next configured IIS. Opening the console, I right-clicked on "Sites" and choose "Add Website", adding the website under a high TCP/IP port number (in this case 8003).

Once added, I selected the site in the console and clicked "Bindings" under the "Action" panel. Here I added in three "Host Names", each under TCP/IP port number 80.

  • baileyweb.local (this website)
  • uni.baileyweb.local
  • unidocs.baileyweb.local

Configuring Hosts File

With the bindings added, I closed the IIS console and moved onto adding those three entries to the Windows Hosts file. Running Notepad as Administrator, I opened %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and configured the values:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

127.0.0.1 baileyweb.localhost
127.0.0.1 uni.baileyweb.localhost
127.0.0.1 unidocs.baileyweb.localhost

Opening the Project

I could now open a web-browser and load the default URL for the website: http://localhost:8003/, running through the CMS configuration. After the initial welcome checks and agreeing to the licence, I chose the "Bare Bones" setup before continuing through the language selection and user account creation. With the CMS console loaded in the browser, I headed straight to the "Template" perspective to create my basic homepage page templates and page type (in that order).

Returning to the "Content" perspective, I added homepages for each of the three websites:

  • Portfolio Website
  • University Website
  • University Documentation

Onward to the "System" perspective, I expanded the "URL Configuration" section and added entries for each site:

... configured like so:

Building the Project

Back in Visual Studio 2015, I could now configure the project's Build settings:

... and Start options:

With this done, I could build the project.

Packages to Install

Once built, the website now loads at: http://baileyweb.localhost/.

After logging in, there are a few housekeeping tasks to complete. First, I'll need to load HTML5 mime-types and the ability to run/compile LESS style-sheets, so I installed these two packages:

I also know that I want to include videos in the websites, so I needed these two packages:

I also want to create custom navigation elements based upon some pre-existing functions, so next I grabbed:

I'm going to modify the Facebook Open Graph Protocol package to add Twitter cards functionality, so I installed:

For my documentation website, I'll need a way to highlight code samples:

I'm also documenting my progress on the project, so I added:

Lastly, I'm going to take regular backups of my work, so I needed:


comments powered by Disqus